View Single Post

Old 02-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Gold member
Default Sources of news about The Villages and the Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Sorry Advogado, I just don't buy it.

No one in their right minds would think the the Daily Scum is actually there to cover news. And the Sentinel should absolutely cover the story - although she is up to Part IV which I think is a bit much. The "major news" isn't that the Sun ignored this - it is the heavy handed techniques used against the folks at Relay. That is deplorable.

Of course newspapers publish stories to increase circulation and therefore sell (more) advertising...but they have a responsibility to report the truth - and to not willingly distort it.

One foundation of yellow journalism is overuse of hyberbole - at which Ms. Ritchie is so effective. Who are Morse's "hench men"? And her expose on the bond issue with the IRS predicted that Villagers would have to pay thousands of dollars of their own money without providing any support for these "facts."

All I am saying is that the developer is not as bad as she paints him, nor as angelic a father figure as others depict. He is a business man (and sometimes a greedy one) looking to make money.
With respect to your statement about Ms. Ritchie's articles on the IRS investigation: I have read all publicly available documents generated during the investigation. Have you? If you had, you might share some of Ms. Ritchie's outrage. Let me assure you that Ms. Ritchie's facts are correct, as is her concern about the potentially huge adverse impact on Villagers if the IRS sustains its position. (I think, however, that the impact would occur in a different way than her analysis indicates, but that is beside the point here.)

Again: Has anybody found any material factual inaccuracies in her reporting? You don't seem to be able to come up with any, although you clearly don't like the packaging in which she delivers the facts-- and I can accept that. Unfortunately, however, if it were not for Lauren Ritchie and the POA Bulletin, Villagers would have absolutely no way of obtaining news that reflects unfavorably on actions by the Developer or on The Villages, itself.