View Single Post

Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
With respect to your statement about Ms. Ritchie's articles on the IRS investigation: I have read all publicly available documents generated during the investigation. Have you? If you had, you might share some of Ms. Ritchie's outrage. Let me assure you that Ms. Ritchie's facts are correct, as is her concern about the potentially huge adverse impact on Villagers if the IRS sustains its position. (I think, however, that the impact would occur in a different way than her analysis indicates, but that is beside the point here.)

Again: Has anybody found any material factual inaccuracies in her reporting? You don't seem to be able to come up with any, although you clearly don't like the packaging in which she delivers the facts-- and I can accept that. Unfortunately, however, if it were not for Lauren Ritchie and the POA Bulletin, Villagers would have absolutely no way of obtaining news that reflects unfavorably on actions by the Developer or on The Villages, itself.
I agree wholeheartedly that the Sun is not a source of objective info on TV. It is essentially a marketing newsletter. We do not subscribe. For news we read the Sentinel and other publications on line and in weekly newsmagazines. The New York Times covered the IRS bond issue - in a way that presented the issues and was "fit to print.".

I do not agree that Ms Ritchie deals only in facts. I will ask again. Who are the Morse family's henchmen and what have they done? There are no facts that I can see supporting such a statement.

Henchman is a strong term, with a precise meaning. From dictionary.com:

1. an unscrupulous and ruthless subordinate, especially a criminal: The leader of the gang went everywhere accompanied by his henchmen.
2. an unscrupulous supporter or adherent of a political figure or cause, especially one motivated by the hope of personal gain: Hitler and his henchmen.
3.a trusted attendant, supporter, or follower.

That last of these may be what she intended?

Regarding the bonds. The Sentinel archives do not reach back that far. But Ms Ritchie posted this on TOTV..."this IRS investigation and about the way that the developer has used the community development districts to his benefit -- at terrible expense and liability to Villages residents. "

What expense and what liability? Potential, yes. Actual, no (to date). So again, another case of hyperbole with no support.

I realize that she is a columnist and not a "reporter." But keep in mind that free speech has it's limits - no one has the right to yell "fire" in a crowded theatre. IMHO, that is all Ms. Ritchie is doing.