View Single Post

Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
Thank you Mikeod for your courtesy. For those who are interested, and please don't shoot the messenger, the link to the actual class action settlement notice is here: http://www.thevillagesfl.us/classactionsettlement.htm It claimed monthly amenity fees paid by The Villages' 70,000 residents had been misused by The Villages of Lake-Sumter Incorporated, the Village Center Community Development District and developer H. Gary Morse. The claim was upheld in court with a $40 million settlement.

Here's another link to a Tampa newspaper story which gives a few more details. Of course, the settlement was reached with confidentiality clauses and the Morses' not admitting any wrongdoing. The story was carried in all the major news outlets. http://www.sptimes.com/2008/03/10/St...develope.shtml

Gracie, no I did not know of the lawsuit when I purchased here, although I don't see why you would be interested in that or what it even has to do with anything?

I love the lifestyle here in The Villages as much as the next person, but let's face it, the Developer didn't act responsibly when he let those facilities decline and didn't provide for the required maintenance. He had to be forced into it by a lawsuit. It is a matter of public record.
Taj - I agree that this was a long shot - and it worked. I applaud the POA for working for us. As you say, he didn't do right and ws caught out. I don't argue that the Morses are perfect - just that they built a better mousetrap.

I think that many seem expect more from the developer than a good home and wonderful lifestyle and view the Morse family as paternaistic. I see them as businessmen.

Lastly, I applaud Lauren Ritchie for bringing "Relaygate" to a larger community. I just don't think a four part article full of innuendos and hyperbole is necessary or helpful.