View Single Post

Old 02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlou View Post
Thats the kind of info I was looking for...You guys dont seem very cheerful about Newark though...Oh well, it is a good job and he has no choice..Trying to make the best of it...Thanks to all of you , very helpful. I think I will start with the NJ transit stuff first...
I was a truck driver in Northern NJ for 43 years and a resident for all those years and have to put in my 2 cents worth.

Newark is an urban center and can be a dangerous place after dark. But it is revitalizing downtown somewhat with the new Performing Arts Center the area surrounding it. Also, that part of the city has a vibrant Portuguese community with many great restaurants that are quite busy. So, it is a vibrant area during the day and an interesting evening out, it you're careful and stay where the people are.

You don't have to go as far as some others are suggesting to find a decent residential community in convenient commuting distance from downtown Newark.

Look on Google Maps and trace Route 21 north from Newark and you'll find plenty of nice towns.

Starting with Belleville, which is a nice blue collar town with home prices and rents in the "starter" range.

I would skip Passaic (as it's too close to the problems of Newark), but then you have Clifton and Garfield which are nice and then Elmwood Park at the top of Route 21, which is a great town and where I lived for 25 years and a quick 25 to 30 minute drive to Newark.

There's plenty to like in Northern NJ and it's boasts the best shopping malls in the state in Paramus NJ with scads of awesome restaurants (which I dearly miss here in TV).

Hope your son finds great success in my home state and builds a great life there.