View Single Post

Old 02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Another County weighs in on Sentinel and Ritchie

There is a Lake County Government blog called the Right Side of the Lake. It makes several references to Lauren Ritchie and the Orlando Sun. The blog suggests in strong terms that Ritchie and the Orlando Sentinel are surrogates for the "anti-growth/anti- business movement" in that county. It alleges that no one has done more harm to Lake County then the Sentinel and Ritchie. The blog does cite some specifics. It attributes to Ritchie this comment on a certain amendment. "Amendment #4 would stop companies from swooping down in Lake County just to make a profit and it would encourage only local people to do business here.” Link below.

"......it would encourage only local people to do business here." If true, the comment the blog attributed to Ritchie, brought to mind my tongue in cheek observation in the OP. [I]"For balance, I guess if I was born and raised here, I may have some resentment about what progress has taken away. A quiet, idyllic countryside dotted with watermelon patches, horse farms, cattle grazing peacefully and fishing holes that never heard the whine of an outboard motor. A lifestyle that insulates you from car, truck and traffic noises. A lifestyle that keeps you from the pollution of progress. Damn Walt Disney and Gary Morse."[/I] (From Cabo's OP) At best, it suggests a noble motive for being anti-business, anti-growth and anti-Villages. I may not agree, but I do understand those that would hold that view. The counterpoint by Ritchie's opposition is compelling. It states that Lake County doesn't have the revenues to progress without growth and new revenue sources.

Before I comment further, let me say that while professionally presented, this blog is just that, a blog of some one's opinion. It should be viewed through the prism of skepticism. Objectivity needs to be factored into the equation and agendas need to be recognized. However, what is noteworthy to me is the similarity in attack styles by the paper and its columnist. If you suspend belief briefly, replace the Lake County targets with the Villages and Morse, you will realize the attack tactics are eerily similar if not clones. Striking at least. A careful read of the article reveals much.

To peak your interest enough to read the blog in its entirety, one of the sub-heading in bold print defines a certain reporter as a Hypocrite and give copious detailed opinion to support the position. Warning, "this ain't bean bag". It's hardball and interestingly enough, has nothing to do with the Villages or the Morse family. So sit back with smug, detached objectivity and make your own assessments.

I cannot attest to the claims made by the article. What I do see are stunning similarities in attack styles that suggest an anti-business and anti-growth agenda. I respectfully request that before commenting, please read the rather lengthy article in it's entirety.

A much larger concern is the impact such elevated, agenda driven journalism will have on the prosperity of my investment in the Villages. At what point does it have its intended effect......creating second thoughts about investing in the Villages. In my OP, I gave a litany of positive impacts the Villages has had on the people of Lake, Sumter and Marion counties. The positives get no coverage because they don't facilitate the agenda. In fact they counter it. I have acknowledged that the developer is not without fault. On balance, even his detractors seem to acknowledge he has done more right than wrong. The missing component in this equation is, I hate to say this, "fair and balanced" reporting.

In fact, the most fair and balanced information venue to date is TOTV.

http://lakecountygov.info/2010/03/31...e-hypocrite-4/

We beat the frost and had an enjoyable 18.

P.S. Saw the King's Speech last night. Great movie.

Have a good evening.

Last edited by cabo35; 02-13-2011 at 05:52 PM.