View Single Post

Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Veteran member

We go to Northern Jersey and Danbury a couple of times a year. We usually do I-95 although we take great pains to hit DC around noon because the traffic can be HELL through that stretch. We leave TV around 7AM and get up to Fayetteville, NC and stay the night. Next day, we leave at 7AM, hit DC around 1ish, and into Westfield, NJ around 5. Danbury is another 2 hours. We do I-81 when the weather permits as it is an easier drive most of the way although lots of truck traffic. I-81 is our route of preference to CT. We do Route 301 because we just slow down and go under the speed limit in Starke, Lawtey, and Waldo which are the three speed traps although, frankly, 301 is one big speed trap. I-75 takes about another 45 minutes to an hour than 301 but is worth it for those with a great aversion to 301.

You have to be careful and watch the weather on I-81 although I-95 is no picnic either....it's a tough two day drive but if you watch the weather, you are usually OK..we have been doing this for six years now so we are veterans.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC