View Single Post

Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Sage
Default New Info on Moffitt

I learned this afternoon that donating to "The Mission For Moffitt" apparently does not benefit Moffitt Cancer Center. This saddens me.

I've been conflicted about donating. I like that Moffitt will be on campus. Donating to it appeals to me. However, it did concern me that Relay for Life reportedly would not be allowed on campus unless it split donations with the developer's fund raising effort. Some TOTVers seemed to think that the donations would not actually benefit Moffitt. That would concern me even more, except I thought it unlikely.

Like Cabo, I felt Ritchie is too biased a source. Ditto The Daily Sun. So, on Feb. 9, I emailed these questions to Michelle Foley of Moffitt Center:

1. Will the outcome of the fund-raising effort for the equipment effect Moffitt's decision to locate within The Villages?
  2. Will Villagers' donations for the equipment financially benefit the Moffitt organization in any way? If so, how?
  3. Will Moffitt's costs to locate within The Villages be reduced in any way as a result of the fund raising effort?
After asking time to check with "our general counsel", Ms. Foley responded this afternoon as follows:
"Hi Phyllis, the answer is no to all of your questions. Please let me know if you need anything else."

So, does this mean that by donating to "The Mission for Moffitt," we would be buying merchandise for the developer, that he will turn around and lease for profit at no cost to him? Is this possible? Is the fund-raising justified if Moffitt won't benefit and if it will have no impact on Moffitt locating in TV? In what sense is it a charitable donation if the funds raised don't benefit Moffitt?

Cabo? Russ? GG?