View Single Post

Old 02-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Easiest way is 95 to I10 to 75 South to Florida Tpke a short distance to 301 to 466A or further down on 301 to 466. I would never again drive on 301 South. When you drive thru Starke and other small towns the chances of getting a ticket with an out of state plate are very good. That is how these towns support themselves.
I know about tickets, I lived in Georgia for ten years and drove a Corvette. However, what I learned was, to drive slower. Going south on Hwy 301 from I-10 to Ocala is 82 miles, from that same point west on I-10 to Lake City and then I-75 south to Ocala is 132 miles. I grew up on the west coast of Florida and have been up and down Hwy 301 a thousand times without a ticket. I think driving an extra 50 miles is a bit much to avoid slowing down, but that's just me.

I also like going through Starke because I usually get there about lunch time from Savannah. They have a Captain D's on the left side across from Walmart, it's nice getting seafood from a drive thru.

As far as bypassing Baltimore, Washington and Richmond. Get a map and check this out because it might seem confusing, but it's much better than driving near those three cities. From I-95 just north of Baltimore take I-895 to I-97. Then just before Annapolis Hwy 2 to Hwy 301. Stay on Hwy 301 into Virginia to Rte 2 south. Take Rte 2 until you reach I-295 southbound (the Richmond Bypass), stay on that around Richmond and you will join I-95 south of Richmond.