Thread: Hearing Aids
View Single Post

Old 02-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Gold member

Keep in mind that a hearing aid dispenser is not required to be an audiologist. In Florida and most, if not all other states, an audiologist is a doctor of audiology, Au.D.
To be dispenser of hearing aids in Florida, one must have a high school diploma and take a 6 month training course.
If you walk into a hearing aid store, the salesperson might be an audiologist but probably isn't. They're not all crooks but some might be a whole lot more concerned with making a sale than improving your ability to hear.
Just like in any other business decision, ask questions, do your research and get everything in writing. I have had friends and relatives who have had horrible experiences
with hearing aid salespeople. All too often these hearing aids are not fitted correctly and end up in a dresser drawer, unused and worthless.
I, like another poster's spouse, am fortunate to get my hearing aids from V.A. There I usually go back several times to have new hearing aids adjusted. At V.A. your are encouraged to return until you're satisfied.
Twice the hearing aids never worked the way I wanted and V.A. ordered me different ones. That's over the course of 25 years or so. I can't say enough good things about V.A. Audiology, especially the last 15 years. They've really become good.