Thread: The Villages
View Single Post

Old 02-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Good point - but not so fast. If somethings sounds a bit to good to be true, it needs closer examination.

I should own up that I build business cases for a living. To do that I have to examine costs and revenue streams and predict how making a fundamental business change will effect them.

So.... many companies say they have cut heads, when in fact they have just subbed that out. this could be by hiring temps or in outsourcing the entire process. Other folks count "heads" differently. For example, if they have 3 people each working 13 hours a week, they will sometimes count that as 1 "head" - as opposed to 1 FTE and 3 heads.

k
Kate has made a good point here. The Villages have 192 full time employees but does that include jobs that are contracted out? I believe the golf courses and much of the landscape maintenance are subbed out. That covers a lot of people. Do those other municipalities use their own employees? Are we comparing apples to apples?

Having said that, I think the dollars I pay for amenities and maintenance are well spent. I know of no other municipality that can match us for the same dollars. Our executive golf courses are in good shape considering the amount of traffic. When I return from a trip I have new admiration for the amount and quality of landscaping. Our rec centers are showplaces as well as utilitarian. Our rec department does an outstanding job managing our centers and numerous activities. Hats off to Janet Tutt and her staff.