Thread: The Villages
View Single Post

Old 02-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
The "192" number, while impressive, is very misleading. That is more like 192 supervisors and managers to oversee all the volunteers, part-timers, and contracted-out services and no real workers (well - maybe a few real workers like in public safety). The meaningful number would be how many workers it takes to provide all TV services and support - contractors, volunteers, part-timers, and full-timers. I suspect that number would make us look quite inefficient (based on numbers only) because, frankly, others wouldn't have the rec center employees to the extent we do, golf course employees, community watch personnel, on and on and on. Apples to apples comparisons probably are not possible when considering TV - we do things so much differently with so many fun-oriented or "optional" expenses (i.e. flowers in every traffic circle). Budget-wise, per capita, I'll bet TV spends as much or probably more than most cities to service and support their residents but no one provides those kinds of numbers, do they? This may sound negative but it is not. I am very happy with TV and the way it runs - not perfect but if you find something better, leave TV and go there. I don't see any mass exodus coming up. The old saying "Figures don't lie but liars can figure" probably applies in this situation.
I'm with you. Things seem to be going along smoothly, and other than the upkeep of the golf courses at times, we have few complaints. And, they've hired probably most of the people part time, so they don't have to pay them benefits, just a nearly minimum wage salary, which makes things pretty cost efficient.