Thread: Hearing Aids
View Single Post

Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
Another point I want to add. With my controller there is a setting for "party" which turns off the back speakers. I complained to the guy at Zounds that when I did this I still heard a lot of backgound noise. After thinking about this for awhile I finally figured it out. Since my hearing is not all that bad without aids I figured that I was still hearing the background noise with my regular hearing. If I were fairly deaf I don't think I would be able to hear this noise.

John
Background noise is a big problem with hearing aids. It's much better now than it was 25 years ago but it's not just those with mild hearing loss who experience this problem.
My hearing loss is severe in one ear, profound in the other. With my hearing aids properly adjusted the background noise in minimized greatly but not eliminated. It's critical that you have an audiologist who will spend the time to get the adjustment right. With modern hearing aids there are different settings for different situations. Mine are set for 1) Normal conversational situations. 2) Restaurant/party type situations. This has increased filtering of background noise. 3) Music. This is unfiltered. As a long time musician I need an unfiltered setting. Without it the hearing aid sometimes filters out the sound of my guitar. Funny, my wife sometimes thinks my playing sounds like noise too.
I doubt if the guy at Zounds was surprised by your complaint. Background noise is one of the most common issues with hearing aids.