View Single Post

Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM
n/a

Default Teachers

I sent an e-mail to Governer Walker telling him I support him and that he will win this fight. The people of Wisconsin spoke last year when they elected him governor because he had a vision for cutting the projected $3.2 billion dollar deficit over the next two years.

Governor Walker wants teacher to pay 12.5% of their health care costs and contribute 5.8% of their salaries into their pension plans. Currently, they pay ZERO! Currently, the AVERAGE teacher salary in Wisconsin is around $53,000 with another $20,000 in benefits. Pretty good for 9 months of work. In the Milwaukee Public School System, the AVERAGE with benefits is just over $100,000.

The more critical issue is collective bargaining. The union negotiates contracts for everyone in the state - good teachers and bad teachers and there is almost no chance to get rid of underperforming teachers. Removing collective bargaining would allow the individual school districts or communities to negotiate with their teachers and not the union. The union would become almost irrelevent in the state of Wisconsin.

Governor Walker has the votes to pass the measure as there are 19 Republican Senators and only 14 Democrat senators but, state law requires a quorum of 20 present for any voting so all the Democrats left for Illinois so no voting could take place. Up and left the state and people were cheering them!

I would never bash teachers as they have a very important and difficult job but they need to be in touch with what most workers are facing - reduced salaries, reduced benefits and ever increasing taxes!

By the way, the Democratic National Committee sent busloads of protestors from Illinois to Madison yesterday and the Reverend Jesse Jackson also showed up.

I don't know if it can be done but I would jail all the senators that fled the state for derilection of duty and fire the teachers who took a sick day to protest in Madison. Whole school systems were shut down because not enough substitutes could be found. Parents were left scrambling looking for day care options or having to take off from their own jobs to look after their kids.

It's a circus but when Governor Walker is successful, other states may also take his lead and see what can be done. Taxpayers can't keep the trough filled too much longer!