View Single Post

Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Default Isp

Current choices are limited. Sprint became Embarq (both DSL) which is now CenturyTel. The DSL is fast enough for me and I have been a high-speed ISP user for many years, both cable and DSL. No problems with downloads, file transfers, streaming video (I am not a big user of this). Prices have been jacked up.

Unfortunately, lack of competition and consolidation into mega-ISPs does not bode well for better service/prices. Some of us may recall The Villages ClearLink choice, which was reasonably priced although not always technically stellar. ClearLink was (and may still be) a "The Villages" owned service, but its customers seemed to have been thrown under the bus as a result of some corporate action to spin off the service (to ComCast??) and folded its tent.

There has been modest effort in the past to get support/interest in a Villages community-wide ISP, such as is found in a few other areas around the country, but this idea has not gained "traction" and probably never will unless The Villages sees it as a money-maker and an attraction for prospective house buyers.

And try to get a golf reservation by internet if you don't belong to The Villages endorsed ISP. Weird that one can make internet reservations for thousands of course throughout the land, but here, you have to belong to the right ISP, or pay a monthly service fee. Seems to me trail fees plus monthly amenity fees should entitle access simple/convenient service regardless of the ISP used. Do I hear an Amen??!!