Thread: Golf car range
View Single Post

Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Gold member
Default location, # of carts, usage

All of the above make a huge difference in your choice. We started with one electric 2 seater cart - we don't golf the 18 hole courses and we live in what will end up being pretty much the center of TV (Sabal Chase). We had tenants for 4 years who used our cart. Many of them DID golf 18 holes. Never heard from any of them that there was a problem running out of juice.

When we retired last fall, we decided to buy a 2nd cart as we both like the idea of going almost everywhere we can by golf cart - saves money and is just more fun, and we often do separate activities. We really thought our 2nd cart would be gas, decision mostly based on all I read on this forum about the need for longer range.

The more looking we did, and the more we smelled all the gas fumes in the tunnels, the less we wanted gas. The high emission factor (gas carts are much worse than gas cars) was also a negative.

Also, although we live in the middle and feel we are not all that far from anywhere, we are kind of far from gas stations, which are all on the edges, not inside TV. Closest to us the the Shell at Colony Plaza, which has had lots of issues as well. Lifting a full 5 gallon gas can would be a problem for me, and Ohioboy is back in Ohio more often than I am.

Long story short, we decided on a 4 passenger electric for our 2nd cart. Great to use for guest tours (most of you will find you have a LOT of guests, at least for the first year or two), and also for grandkids, once equipped with seat belts.

If we have used one cart extensively during the day, we just drive the other at night. They fit in our CYV Bonita garage in tandem - and since they are both Club Cars, can hook up to either charger so we are not constantly changing them around.

It's worked great for us, based mostly on our location and usage. Might not work for everyone.