View Single Post

Old 02-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Cool

We arrived in Buttonwood Sunday at about 4:30 pm after an interesting trip from Connecticut. We left an hour later than we planned on Saturdy at 8 am. We were making great time over the Tappan Zee, down the Garden State Parkway onto the Jersey Turnpike until we reached the last toll. There traffic was backed up until we got to the other side of the Delaware Memorial Bridge. The high winds (gusts in excess of 60 mph) created a backup that cost us an hour by our reckoning. Unfortunately that wasn't our only problem. Near Washington, we ran into a brush fire that had smoke billowing across I-95. We lost another hour in that traffic jam and another hour after we got back on 95 after taking the 495 DC bypass. Another brush fire. There must have been dozens of those fires bevause of the dry conditions and the incredible winds.

We managed to stay the night in Florence, SC where we arrived at 9:30 pm.
Sunday we left at 9 am and the trip was much easier. A couple of pit stops and a lunch break and our first trip down 301 (sorely testing my patience with the frequent speed limit changes.)

Now we begin the process of furnishing our Buttonwood home after only buying a bed and sofa when we closed in December. I hope the next 5 weeks will be productive in that regard but also filled with fun.

The storm in Connecticut today did bring a smile to my face when we received a call from my grandson's school system this am that there was no school. We are on a telephone list as well as his mother. We're not there and I don't have to shovel that white stuff.

The television and internet are operational, the cabinets are filled with food and other supplies so we're off to a great start. Kudos to Comcast for being here when they said they would.