View Single Post

Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Although we are not in TV, but just south of you, we have had many "talks" with folks not understanding our love of our Florida home.

Sometimes it can be attributed to jealousy. Sometimes it is the crab bucket mentality of not wanting anyone else to get out of the crab bucket, so they pull anyone down who tries to escape.

We have heard, "Have you been DOWN there in the SUMMER???" I reply, "Yes, and I like it more then the bone chilling frigidness of 6 month Buffalo winters".

I've heard, "How selfish of you to leave your kids and grandkids".

I've heard, "How wrong you are to take your fancy NY Gov't pension and not stay to spend it in NY".

In the end, I realize it is foolish to argue. Everyone is different. I do not WANT everyone I know to follow me to Florida. Like they say....the best revenge is living well. I'll just sell our NY home, retire quietly, leave without fanfare and enjoy the good life in my wonderful Florida home......and smile when I read about the high NY taxes, bad winters, potholes. etc.....

I'll live in a land where the only gloves I own are golf gloves. I'll never use a snow blower or a snowbrush or snowshovel again. The only salt I'll own will be on my table.

There is a Bible verse that says, "Consider the birds". I have done that and discovered they are smarter then I am because they LEAVE NY in the winter. Soon, I'll live in a land where seeing my breath outside is rare. I"ll trade my E_Z Pass for a SunPass........Florida, here I come!!

Frank