View Single Post

Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor53 View Post
Macs are, for the most part, the "date movie" of computers. They are easy to use. They are fun. They do not require or expect much expertise from their users. In fact, they really don't like to be "fiddled with."

The Mac interface (operating system) is elegant. Because hardware and software were developed together -- so long as you don't have to upgrade a Mac - you'll be in heaven.

Macs are better for media users. For casual users - simple media creation software is bundled in the operating system.

Macs are less likely to get viruses. As much as Steve Jobs would like to attribute this to superior software - it really reflects the relative lack of Macs computers vs. PCs. Macs are less worth hacking.

On the downside, Macs are more expensive - especially as you move up the food chain to more robust desktops.

You generally pay a premium for a Mac - though on the lower consumer end this difference may occasionally be small (Apple is a very integrated company. They prefer to sell direct to consumers via their website or "Apple Stores." They develop much of their own software. What they don't make on hardware - they make up for on software or media sales....this is especially true in the case of the Ipad).

Downsides???

Macs are a bear to upgrade. The joke with techs is..."How do you upgrade a Mac??? Buy a new Mac."

Software is limited. Apple is stingy with it's source code. Apple generally prefers it's own software developers or it's traditional software supporters...some of Adobe (Photoshop and Dreamweaver -- but, not Flash) and ironically Microsoft (Office).

You might pay almost double for Mac hardware additions such as Rem, hard drives and optical drives.

Windows PC's run the gamut. Some are great...some stink.

Windows 7 is a robust, stable, operating system and it far easier for more advanced users to work on. There is a ton of customizing opportunities to upgrade the hardware and software on PCs.

It's rare to find software that doesn't have a Window's version. There is a ton of free software for Windows - more than Macs.

Windows PC's (especially on higher end machines) are substantially cheaper - so much so, it's almost silly - than equivalent Macs. Moreover, if you are comfortable with upgrading, you can keep a Windows PC on the cutting edge far longer without needing to purchase a new PC.

I work in systems security for the Feds. We use PCs. I am comfortable with PCs and personally own one - though I owned Macs early on (they totally smoked Windows before server NT and desktop XP).

For most casual users - I think you'll love a Mac. If you are a more advanced user, you'll prefer a PC...unless you work in graphics design...and even that is changing.

Just remember - you will generally pay a premium for Macs and you will have to accept limitations on Mac software and customizing options. For most Villagers, the ease of working on a Mac, will overcome these objections.

BTW - I anticipate my divorce will be final next month. I'll retire at the end of the year and will be moving down to the Villages early next year.

It sounds like you have created an ideal life/community. I'm looking forward to joining it.

Gary
Gary,
Excellent summary. As someone who has used both Macs and PCs extensively, I agree with everything you said!