View Single Post

Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Default OOMA Telo can provide you local numbers!

I can now answer my own question, as I am now in TV (Sunset Pointe)
- I installed Century Link DSL - the highest speed they have available. It is officially the "up to 10 MB" service and $40 price, and I am getting 8MB download and 0.8 MB upload. Installation went smoothly, and I did not need to call in for help.
Service has been fine up to now.
- I purchased an Ooma Telo from Costco. I am not a member but for 5% more, anyone can purchase their items online. Again all went smoothly, and it was delivered as scheduled. The Costco purchase does include a free Bluetooth adapter, which I felt would be useful if I wanted to use their premier service. Again, the installation was very easy and worked well and I was able to choose a local calling number 352-547-xxxx. The Ooma setup allows free LD within the US, and lots of other features, and would have been a good bargain. However, there is a slight 1-2 second delay and some people at the other end have found it seems to cut out parts of the conversation, so I regret that I will be returning it.
Interestingly, the Ooma Telo did not degrade the Internet download speed to any noticeable extent whether the phone was being used or not, but the upload speed did drop by more than half when the phone was being used.
Unfortunately this leaves me with the only other practical option, to go to Century Link for their phone, which looks like it will cost $30 + $15 + taxes for the unlimited US long distance which I will need. If the Ooma had been satisfactory for us, it would have paid for itself within 4-5 months.