View Single Post

Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I agree there should be accountability, but I also believe that even those in need deserve some treats and, yes, even a luxury once in awhile. That person in the Caddy and the $400,000 home may be just as much in need as the person in the $350 apartment driving the clunker. (The one with the hosue and car probably wouldn't qualify unless on a disability since there is a limit as to how much of value can be owned.) The majority who qualify for food stamps, Medicaid, welfare truly need what they are getting. Many are only getting assistance for a short period and then either move up in the world or go further down (homeless qualify for little). They are pretty well-screened. That doesn't mean some don't fall through the cracks because they do. There are those who know exactly how to work the system to get everything possible and be entitled to none of it. Fortunately, they are in the minority.

Of course, being a liberal, I'd rather that a cheat get what isn't deserved rather than deprive one who truly needs. I don't like the idea of the cheat getting services, but I really would hate to think of a child going hungry when we could help that family because we want to make sure the cheat doesn't get anything.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein