View Single Post

Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Gold member
Default Effects of the expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Yes, that was 466, not 466A.

I've seen passing reference in the paper about plans to amend boundaries of CDD9. CDD9 is generally south of 466A and the eastern half of new development between 466A and 44.

But, this amendment, to be voted on by Sumter County Commissioners tonight, amends CDD9 to include approx 62 acres just south of 466 and East of Morse Blvd (roughly across from Sante Fe shopping plaza and where cows now roam).

These 62 acres will hold 335 homes. Infrastructure will be built this year. Does not include a detailed homesite or street plan.

This area was once rumored to be a hotel site. I guess, and this is only my opinion, the developer is finding it more expedient and perhaps more profitable to build and sell houses rather than more commercial development.

There was also a little blurb in the paper that Lady Lake town council rezoned a parcel across 466 from the LaZamora gate to be commercial...no tenants identified as yet but some discussion of convenience store or restaurant.

Here's a link to Sumter county commissioner meeting agenda:

http://www.sumtercountyfl.gov/agendas.aspx?AGID=155
Interesting. I remember a few years ago, when I attended the CDD presentation for new residents, Pete Wahl said that The Villages would never expand beyond its then-platted boundaries because there was no more available land. I guess that is not the case anymore.

Do you have any thoughts on the effects (positive or negative), if any, of the proposed expansion on current Villages residents? I cannot think of any material effects, except it makes one wonder when the expansion will stop, if ever.

Did I miss the Daily Sun's coverage of the matter?