View Single Post

Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Great tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
Do you use that card at restaurants? When you hand that card to a server, you are taking a risk of someone copying your card number and that oh so important 3 digit security number. Now they can internet shop to their hearts delight.

First thing to do is, with the corner of a razor, scratch out that 3 digit security number after you have written it down somewhere separate from the card.

Second; make sure the card the server hands you back is YOUR CARD. Look at it before you put it in your wallet.
I had not thought of that. My husband follows the server saying " Sorry no offense but I don't let my card out of my sight." Usually the sever is nice about it but every once in awhile they take offense. There was a poblem with some kind of pocket device that they could swipe the card through that would steal the info off the strip; back a couple years. I wonder if they changed the incoding as I haven't heard any problems with it for awhile. Does anyone know if that is still a problem.
We pay an additional $8 a month for Chase to have a high security alert thing on the card, they use to do it for free but now charge for the service. If we make a charge for over a preset amount they call our cel phone before they authorize it and we could set the limit lower (and did ) for internet charges. Also multiple charges on the same day in the same store sometimes trigger a call but not always. Walgreens drugs does regardless of amount but Macys does not I don't know apparently they have fraud watches on certain types of activity.