View Single Post

Old 02-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I am now thinking about getting a GPS device. My spouse wants to move into the 21st century. I want something simple and inexpensive to start. Baby steps. Also, I have never seen one in action except on TV shows.

I asked my friends and they recommend TomTom and Garmin.

In doing my research, it seems that Garmin gives street names - a biggie for the spouse. So far I like the Garmin nuvi 255W.

I have also looked at many of the posts on TOTV but I still have a few general questions.

Can you plug it into the power source on the car when using it so it does not run down the battery?

It comes with preloaded maps. Is that enough? How often can you update it for free?

Can you give it an alternate route to use forever? Instead of rt 42 to 27/441 to Belleview, I like rt 42 to 301. Can I make that the default? Or will the GPS recalculate if I take the left instead of the right out of TV onto rt 42?

Is there a power cord for in the house use and charging?

Any help will be appreciated.

Z
I personally would recommend the Garmin. The 255W has been around for a while, so I might pick something released more recently. Although I believe the 255W would serve you well.

Yes you can plug it into your 12V receptacle for power while you are driving. Everything you need should be in the box.

I believe you can upgrade at no charge for the next update after you buy the unit and register it. After that you'll want to buy the Lifetime Maps. I paid $90 for Lifetime Maps on Amazon and I can update my Maps four times a year on-line for as long as Garmin supports that unit. Some of the new GPSs come with Lifetime Maps included.

The newer units may be able to save a specific route, but mine, about 4 yrs old, doesn't. I can save destinations in my Favorites though. When I set Belleview in my GPS it always picks 301 as the route maybe because I have my GPS set on QUICKEST not SHORTEST. If I were to turn right, she may try to turn me around for a little while, but she would soon recalculate the route up 27/441.

There is a home charger that you can plug into to charge the unit and there will also be a usb tether to your computer for charging and for downloading/updating.

You can also get lots of different specialized POIs (points of interest) for free from www.poi-factory.com . You can download them to your GPS. For instance, we travel in a motor home that burns diesel fuel so I have a POI of Diesel Stations that include Flying J, Loves, and Travel America. Another POI that I have in the GPS is all of The Army Corps of Engineers Campgrounds. You can pick out POIs for all kinds of things such as Waterfalls, Lighthouses, Covered Bridges, Wal-Marts, Sam's Clubs, etc.

Xavier