View Single Post

Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post

Can you plug it into the power source on the car when using it so it does not run down the battery?

It comes with preloaded maps. Is that enough? How often can you update it for free?

Can you give it an alternate route to use forever? Instead of rt 42 to 27/441 to Belleview, I like rt 42 to 301. Can I make that the default? Or will the GPS recalculate if I take the left instead of the right out of TV onto rt 42?

Is there a power cord for in the house use and charging?

Z
Z
The Garmin units all come with a mounting that has a power cord that plugs into the lighter or power source for power. You just snap the GPS unit into the holder and plug it into the power and you are running off the power source and not the internal battery. As far as in home use the units come with a USB cable and you recharge the unit that way. No additional charger.

If for example you are going from LSL to Belleview you would enter the address in Belleview where you are going. The GPS will calculate the route based on some settings such no toll roads, no dirt roads, shortest route or fastest route. Now if it comes up with a route of to 466 / 27/441 to Belleview and you head west on 466 the GPS will first tell you to turn or make a u turn to get back on track. If you ignore the GPS and keep driving you will reach a point that the GPS will recalculate and decide that the 301 route best meets your settings and starts directing you from there. Some times the change to the 301 route will be quick and other times longer as it all depends on how many options there are for you to turn around.

As far as updates the maps are always changing. The preloaded maps are okay for the major highways and where new roads are not being constructed but with all the new areas of TV you will want to be up to date. The updates will also give you changes in POI (points of interest) such as rest areas, restaurants, gas stations, hotels/motels, hospitals etc.

Garmin updates their maps 4 times a year (normally updates are February, May, July and November). They give you one free upgrade but that must be within so many days of purchase of the unit. They also have a lifetime upgrade program for about $90.00 that allows you to update the maps the 4 times a year.

One other thing about the Garmin is that you can use one of the programs called MapSource. This will allow you to create your own route, upload that to the GPS for your travels. This will override the built in GPS calculated route.

For example there is always a discussion on TOTV as to the best route down I-95 to TV. I used MapSource to create routes via I-10, 301, 206/19 an 40. When I leave Ohio I select which one I will use and off I go.

Other than the one free update to your new unit and other updates have to come from a bit torrent or some other hack or underground site. This is illegal but they are out there.

If you have any other questions or concerns send me a PM and I will try to answer them.

Last edited by Hawkwind; 02-24-2011 at 04:27 PM.