View Single Post

Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkomoros View Post
My neighbor has a PC that is 6 or so years old and has a virus. Apparently, he also never had an anti-virus program installed. He only uses his computer for some Internet searches and to play solitaire, so he's not sure he needs to buy a new computer and start over - this time with protection! In the meantime, can we download an anti-virus program like Kaspersky, even with an active virus already on the old computer? He's not computer literate, so whether or not he keeps his old computer or buys a new one, he will need computer help. Can anyone suggest someone who could help him set up his computer and load it with what he needs?
I just finished up working on my sister-in-laws computer and it had similar symptoms. I loaded Avast or some other free Virus program and found several nasty little viruses, spy-ware, malware, etc. That might just do the trick for your friend.

In my case, I cleaned all of that up and was still getting weird things happening. Figured that there had to be some corrupted files. Did a repair operation on Windows XP to no avail. One thing for sure will cure the problem if it isn't bad hardware. I formatted the hard-drive and did a clean install of Windows XP. It now works like a top. I've re-installed all of the device drivers, etc. and added an antivirus program. It's good for another 7 years.

The above is pretty time consuming. Maybe someone from the Computer Club can help out if he wants to go that route. If he just needs someone to help him setup a new computer, PM me and I'll help him out.

Xavier