View Single Post

Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

If you see mounds of dirt/sand in a field or near the base of bushes and they are about 3-5 inches high, and there are several in the same vicinity . . . those are fire ants.

There are different kinds of fire ants, but the fire ants around here are smaller than most ants and have a pointy rear end where their stinger is. They bite down and then move their back end in a circular motion so they can sting in several places. You don't feel the bite at all, but the stings feel like a sharp prick and soon afterward, it burns. Except on the tough part of your feet -- no sting or burn, only the itchiest bump you ever had. Then a puss-filled blister forms. Don't pop it, as it takes longer to go away and leaves a bigger scar. (I know this from an experiment I tried on myself).

Little children, elderly who cannot move quickly, dogs, etc. can be quickly covered by these ants. The ants attack silently, cover as much of the body as possible without being detected, then one ant gives the signal and they all sting at once with the aim to kill the victim with multiple stings.

Or, you could just be walking through grass no where near a mound and one or two will get on you as you pass through and you'll get a couple of stings.

TV does a pretty good job spraying for bugs so it's pretty rare to seem them here, except in large grass areas where there is not much foot traffic and around the base of planting beds and bushes.

So don't go near those mounds. Very dangerous critters. They have killed people in their sleep. Please spray your home and yard to keep them away from your property.http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/sto...2143091&page=1

The Villages FloridaThe Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida