View Single Post

Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default I have learned to stay away from politics

and I have not gotten on the political forum, even to eavesdrop. Why? because experience has taught me that I will form negative opinions about some people that I might otherwise find good company. My best friend of almost 40 years and I would not agree on very much politically, but we stay away from those conversations and are in every other way perfectly compatible.

I frequented a political board during the last general election, and found myself getting so wraught up about the conversations (if you can call them that) that my blood pressure would go through the roof. I also found that there was no argument persuasive enough that I could change anyone on the other sides mind even a little bit, nor they mine. Therefore it becomes nothing more than an intellectual tug-of-war with no one budging the rope a millimeter.

Some of the recent threads about the Morse activities have reminded me how polarizing political issues can become, with few winners and lots of losers and collateral damage.