View Single Post

Old 02-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
and I have not gotten on the political forum, even to eavesdrop. Why? because experience has taught me that I will form negative opinions about some people that I might otherwise find good company. My best friend of almost 40 years and I would not agree on very much politically, but we stay away from those conversations and are in every other way perfectly compatible.

I frequented a political board during the last general election, and found myself getting so wraught up about the conversations (if you can call them that) that my blood pressure would go through the roof. I also found that there was no argument persuasive enough that I could change anyone on the other sides mind even a little bit, nor they mine. Therefore it becomes nothing more than an intellectual tug-of-war with no one budging the rope a millimeter.

Some of the recent threads about the Morse activities have reminded me how polarizing political issues can become, with few winners and lots of losers and collateral damage.
Without a doubt, what you say is so true. The other board I spend time on also has a political forum and in addition to those of us from the USA, we have others from Europe, Great Britain, Australia. Add their feelings and emotions to a volatile topic and you can't help but get burned, even if you're on other forums... Those same individuals post on our general conversation forum as well as the main board, (originally set up to discuss everything, but now is mostly for extremely intellectual and deep topics,) and you share friendship and laughter. Actually, we've been together as a group for over 11 years, and few of us have met in real life....maybe that makes a difference....we can call each other names one minute and the next, share the joy of one of our members becoming a grandparent, a parent, getting a new job, getting a new puppy....everyday life.

Isn't it funny how a message board can ignite such feelings?.....good as well as bad.