View Single Post

Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The government hasn't learned a darn thing since the 1973 Oil Embargo. I am solidly behind DRILL HERE DRILL NOW for both oil and gas. Will we ever learn? Eliminate the Department of Energy turn to the free market and watch the magic of capitalism.
I agree that the country hasn't learned from the '73 Embargo. I think we need to be working harder at energy independence and replacing petroleum fuels with alternative fuels. We could be independent of foreign oil with a mixture of energy resources—domestic alternative resources, in addition to domestic petroleum resources.

When you think about it, beyond the hit on our pocketbooks at the gas pump, America's dependence on foreign oil is a real security threat. Oil producing nations can use the price of oil as political and economic weapons to maniupulate the marketplace; money from the oil bankrolls dictators and terrorists. U.S. military operations in the Middle East are aimed in part at keeping the oil flowing.

We need to start by getting our transportation system, our cars, buses, trucks, etc., powered by U.S. resources. Why are Americans still buying big gas guzzling cars? In Europe where gas has been over $5/gallon for years, they drive around in tiny energy efficient cars. Maybe the rise in the cost of gasoline here will act as yet another wakeup call.