Thread: Aw shucks...
View Single Post

Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Gold member

I would not put too much faith in the Health Department inspection reports. I have owned and operated food service businesses in the past. The inspector showed up just after I opened my first establishment. I had bought out the previous owner of the restaurant/bar. The inspector gave me a 3 page listing of discrepancies. I was wondering how the previous owner never got hit during their inspections. I started on the "fix it" list which was all minor problems. A few nights later the same inspector and a friend sat at the bar and had a few drinks and pupus. I instructed the staff to comp their bill. Next inspection - no discrepancies. Now, before you get all excited, I did eventually fix all the items on the first listing because I wanted to be in compliance with the letter of the law. Just goes to show that the inspections can be misleading. Better to trust your own eyes and judgement. If the place is dirty out front, you don't even want to see the kitchen. The same thing applies to Liquor Inspectors, Fire Department, you name it. Delivery truck drivers trying to sell "excess" items on their truck. Owning a business can be an education in itself. I have never owned a business in Florida but I suspect it is much the same.