View Single Post

Old 02-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Why do you think no good comes to locals from ACS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Talk Host - Relay for Life gives all the donated money to American Cancer Society. Their main feature (after about 25% of donations going to fundraising costs) is research. Fine group but it is not for local treatment of patients. American Cancer Society stated they would give no funds at all to the Moffitt Center. Basically, we give money to Relay for Life and get nothing local for it.

If a person wants to contribute directly to American Cancer Society, send them a check. There are still some Relay for Life functions going on at The Villages, as stated above in another post.

No one is forcing you to give to any certain charity - or to any charity at all.
As a former radiation therapy technologist I have seen huge strides in the treatment protocols and the survival outcomes in most forms of cancer in the past 30-40 years, This has come about from the research and compilation of data that the ACS does. Local doctors do not make up thier own treatment protocols. Successful protocols are passed around for all oncologists to use. This is the greatest thing about the ACS.

Nothing against the Moffit Center but if it did not occur in TV, we would still be able to receive good cancer care somewhere because, hopefully, the docs have kept up with the research, etc. If the ACS did not exist, it would still be hit or miss as to what treatment regime you receive. Many more people might have succumbed to this heinous disease

The ACS is responsible for finding a protocol for treatment for my 6 yo nephew who developed a very rare cell type of Lymphoma. He is one of 89 Americans with this disease. At the age of 13 he is considered cancer free, Praise God and the ACS, Sally

When God made me he said Ta Da!