View Single Post

Old 02-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Hey, we had three police cars here the other day for a broken car window on the street, so eight for a cart running over someone seems proportional.

What Talk Host posted struck a bell with me. In MA there is a very strict law regarding people in or about to be in a crosswalk. In fact in years past I have seen "stings" where plains clothes police officers will approach a crosswalk and if the cars did not stop they were pulled over and warned or ticketed. Do not get me wrong, this is a good law and I suspect saves many lives.

What it has created though is a set of people that no longer even look before entering the crosswalk. Since they have the "right" to cross if in a crosswalk, they do so without even looking. Even with the MA law, there is no way I step off a curb without making sure drivers are paying attention.
I was thinking basicly the same thing. I must say though that I've use my mobility scooter at both SS & LSL and have been surprised and pleased at how many drivers of both autos and golf cars have been courtious enough to stop and wave me to cross when they could have just as easily continued on without doing so. Either way, I would rather exercise personal responsibility by looking and waiting when necessary than be struck by an inattentive or inconsiderate driver.
The Villages Florida The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"