View Single Post

Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Gold member
Default The amenities are not owned by the residents and never will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
Many years ago in a board meeting I was told " John, if your going to eavesdrop, pay attention " and I might pass on this piece of advice to some of these posters.

We here north of 466 already own the our executive courses , our rec centers , swimming pools and tennis courts and as for the "FREE FOR LIFE ADD ON TV" I heard it again just 3 days ago on national TV......So lets try to keep our criticisms accurate about the neatest retirement spot known to man.........I say again ,
.... IF YOUR GOING TO EAVESDROP , PAY ATTENTION......

Golf front owner ....fumar...
I'm afraid that you are mistaken, and I cannot imagine where you got your information.

You own NONE of the above amenities, and, as earlier posters have pointed out, you never will. What you have is a contractual right to receive access to them, in exchange for your monthly amenities fees. You can get a basic, but spinned, explanation of the basic system by attending one of the community development orientation programs put on by the district government.

The amenities north of 466 are, in fact, owned by the Villages Center Community Development District, which is basically the district that encompasses Spanish Springs. Virtually all the property in that District is owned by the Developer. Therefore, the District's board members are all designated by the Developer.

Some aspects of the system glossed over in the orientation program: (1) pending IRS investigation of the tax-exempt bonds used to finance the whole system; and (2) class-action law suit (settled for $40 million) against the Developer and the VCCDD when the VCCDD failed to maintain the amenities. Both the investigation and the law suit are based on the Developer's alleged overpricing of the the amenities (and amenities' contracts) sold by the Developer to the VCCDD.

It's complicated, but you can go to the Property Owners' Association website and check back issues of the Bulletin for details. www.poa4us.org Or, check the Lauren Ritchie's Orlando Sentinel articles on the subject (a little inflammatory, I admit).

You are spot on about two things, however: (1) This is a neat retirement spot; and (2) It is good to pay attention as to what is going on. We shouldn't get caught up in the neatness of this place, turn off our brains, and not look at what is going on underneath the surface-- if we want this place to remain a neat retirement spot.