View Single Post

Old 03-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Retirement Advice

The latest advice coming from experts is to work as long as you can save as much as you can and forego your social security until you retire.

The reality for all of us is that it is an individual choice based on many factors. When you decide to take retire is really a crap shoot. I used a rather conservative approach and based my longevity on the age my last parent died. I divided that amount into months and then applied the income we would be receiving from social security, pensions ,ec. We only figured our 401k for inflation purposes. We paid down all our debt. The net result is we will be able to live within our means without dipping into our savings well beyond the longevity model I used. For personal reasons we are hoping to pass on as much wealth to our offspring as we can afford.

Bottom line each of us has to look at our DNA, financial goals, remaining responsbilities, remaining debt, lifestyle and personal philosophy.

What could upset the apple cart is some major changes in health insurance coverage.