View Single Post

Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Teppanyaki is correct for table side grilling ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
The OP and I come from the same town in New York State and in this town they have a Sakura's Japanese Restaurant. You may be correct about VKI and Teppanyaki, but at the NY Sakura restaurant they definitely call it a Habachi Table.

We have been to this Sakura's more than once and been to several Japanese restaurants many times over the past four decades at locations from NY to Orlando to Anaheim, and in not in a single case were the tables ever called anything but Habachi Tables. As a matter of fact I never even heard of (or at least remember) the term Teppanyaki until I read your post. Why even if you do a Google search on both terms, you will find more images of Japanese cooking tables under the term Habachi than you will under Teppanyaki... as well as more hits.

Again, I'm not saying that what you state about VKI and Teppanyaki is inaccurate, but in my experience all the cooking tables were referred to as Hibachi. So with all due respect, I don't agree that the OP needs to make any such clearification.
Teppanyaki is the style of dining where the chef cuts up and grills the food on a large flat griddle with you watching. Made popular to the masses by Benihana. Hebachi is a grill with grids over charcoal or wood that gives a smoky flavor two very different things. I have been to Japanese resturants that have both. Just because a restaurant chain calls it something doesn't make it correct.
At least that is the way us Japanese Hawaiians see it.
Trudy Muramoto