View Single Post

Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle guy View Post
Recently played at Glenview. It took us 4:45 to play 18 holes. My past experience had been that ambassadors always quote the same reason for slow play : the course is packed. Poor excuse, as a packed course can play in reasonable time if the slow parties are monitored.<

The Glenview experience was different. The group in front of us were clearly the slow players. By the the 12th hole, they were a full par 5 hole behind. When we talked to the ambassador, he responded by saying that he had already warned them, but to please be patient, as we would be old ourselves someday. Other than the implied compliment, (not deserved), I felt that it was kind of lame as an excuse.

<stuff snipped from post>
Dang, and here I am talking up Glenview. It always struck me that the ambassadors were on top of things there and would get Ken or one of the managers if they could not get a situation under control. 4:45 on a village golf course is pretty frustrating, my cooler is not large enough . Here is a technique you can use in the future. With the group in front of you in ear shot, turn like you are yelling at the group behind you and say "It is not us, it is the group in front of us".

Like I said, most rounds this year have been under time, nothing like 4:45. We just played Lopez last Sunday in just under 4 hours without rushing, but Sunday AM is always a little less crowded.

There is something to be said about a packed course being slower. It is analogous to a highway being full, one mistake is hard to recover from. That said there is no reason a round should take more than the recommended time on the card, IMO that time is very fair.