View Single Post

Old 03-05-2011, 01:03 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogaman View Post
I agree with much of what you say...but I have a question: did your vote for representation in Congress reflect those well-stated views?...
While ours is a democracy, I'm sorry to say that I think we've passed the "one man-one vote" concept long ago. Those who occupy those 535 seats in Washington are more beholden to the special interests and lobbyists who pay to get them elected and re-elected than to a schlub like me who casts one louse vote and doesn't contribute any money. That's too bad, but that's they way I think it is in Washington these days.

Who'd I vote for? For Congress I voted for one of the Democrats who opposed Dick Nugent. There was one who seemed pretty well qualified and stated some principles that I mostly agreed with. I knew it was a wasted vote because of the high plurality of people in the 5th District who would automatically vote for the Republican candidate without even knowing his name. I too was offended by the under-the-table way that Ginny Brown-Waite announced her retirement from Congress, and at the same time got her buddy from Hernando County on the ticket only minutes before the filing deadline, virtually assuring his election to Congress.

I can't recall Nugent making a single speech or distributing one letter or flyer describing what he stands for. In fact, if you go to his website right now (http://nugent.house.gov/) you'll have a tough time figuring out what he really stands for. He says that Social Security is a promise that shouldn't be broken--I guess that means he won't cut Social Security. He says that government spending should be cut. But then he says that veterans' benefits should be improved. He has three kids, all military officers and two who graduatd from West Point. I can only assume that he won't be voting for cuts in the defense budget anytome soon. I can only conclude that arithmetic was not his best subject in school if he thinks the budget can be balanced with those limitations.

I voted for Charlie Crist for the Senate. I thought he did a pretty good job as Governor and seemed to take an independent stand on things that might have been unpopular. I liked that independence.

Who will I vote for in 2012? The little statement below this post tells it all...no one who's currently in elected office in Washington.