View Single Post

Old 03-07-2011, 06:46 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
laryb - Hope it all works out!

Our experience with radon/testing/mitigation: When we were selling our prior 30-year old home in OH, the buyer wanted to do the radon test thing. I instinctively figured the house wouldn't pass muster - the county we live in is known for above-standard levels of radon. Sure enough - the radon level tested as over-spec. Rather than run the risk of getting into a whizzing contest over having a company install a mitigation system with the potential that the radon level might STILL not meet specifications, we offered the buyer a credit that would cover the bulk of a mitigation system if he should so choose to install one. Or he could do whatever he wanted with the credit. Frankly, between the radon thing and several other items he wanted a credit for rather than resolution to them, we figure he was just out to garner more money towards his closing costs. Regardless, he agreed to the radon system credit..........and I had the realtor insert in the addendum to the sales contract that we as sellers would not be liable in the future if the buyer installed a system and the radon test was still over the limit. The seller was agreeable. Worked out fine for everyone, it seems!

Again, best wishes for success in getting your house through closing!

Bill
Radon test was high for us. Company here in RI I used gave good price and guarantee to get it within limits for that price. Was do it or lose the sale. We want to be in the villages full time come July. So we did the trick. Buyers Market sure makes a difference.