View Single Post

Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Sage
Default Feedback from the VCDD re: street parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
I re-checked the deed restrictions for our patio villa in Duval. The document states that "No owner of a Homesite shall park, store, or keep any vehicle except wholly within his driveway or garage". It goes on to mention things about working on a vehicle, no boats/trailers/campers/etc. allowed to park in parking spaces, and so on. But there is nothing specific mentioned - at least in our set of deed restrictions - about street parking.

To me, it seems to be a bit like the satellite antenna debacle of years past. There used to be a set of restrictions about how and where you could/couldn't mount a dish antenna. That all went by the wayside when the VCDD realized it wasn't within their domain to be able to restrict such things.

Regardless, I've sent an e-mail off to our friends at the VCDD to get their feedback on the street parking dealie-do. I'll post their response when I receive it.

Bill
As a follow-up to my prior post noted above, here are excerpts from e-mails I exchanged with Candy Dennis, who is the Deed Compliance Coordinator for the VCDD. Sorry for the delay - it took a couple of days wrapped around the weekend plus a misdirected e-mail to get it all:

================================================== =====

Q: My wife and I recently recently purchased a resale Patio Villa and we have a simple question regarding parking. We note in our deed restrictions that "No owner of a Homesite shall park, store, or keep any vehicle except wholly within his driveway or garage". There really is no mention specific to street parking. Yet we hear from others that there is to be no on-street parking in any of The Villages' residential areas. They even go so far as to say that, at least in their particular Village(s), the Community Watch folks will request that they move their parked vehicles from the street.

I asked this same question of a gentleman who works for the VCDD at a recent "Get Acquainted" session at Lake Miona . His response was that it used to be the norm that no street parking was permitted until it was determined to be unenforceable since the streets are all public roads and not under the jurisdiction of the VCDD for this type of thing. He said that anything goes for parking in the streets - trailers, cars, etc. - and that the worst that would/could happen would be getting glared at and hassled by your neighbors. He did clarify, though, that parking in yards, or half in the street/half in the yard, etc. IS something that is unacceptable and enforceable.

Any insights appreciated.

A: In response to your e-mail, the deed compliance department does not have jurisdiction over parking in public streets. Typically, if we receive a complaint, we will advice the caller that the streets are public; however, if the vehicle, trailer, RV, etc is impeding traffic, we then call Community Watch who will send out one of our fire engines to ensure there is room for them to get down the street in case of an emergency.

Parking a vehicle, trailer, RV, etc in the yard, that is a deed restriction which we can pursue through our deed compliance process.

Q: Thanks for the reply. To get further clarification, are ALL the streets in the residential areas within The Villages considered public? Specifically, I'm referring to the streets within the Courtyard Villa and Patio Villa areas. I've heard from some that those streets in particular are privately maintained and thus subject to a different set of parking restrictions.

A: Even though the villa streets are maintained by their particular district, all streets are considered public. The same applies that they cannot impede traffic.

================================================== ======

So in my little world, that pretty much clears up the street parking issue:

- You're permitted to park anything in the streets, even in the villa areas, so long as a fire engine can pass through.

- No parking at all in the yards.

Hope that helps!!

Bill