View Single Post

Old 03-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Our immune system being strong is the only thing that keeps us well and gets us well from colds/viruses/flu and from allergy-type symptoms (which are in actuality just the first sign of an immune system that is not keeping up to the demand that is being placed on it/the body). Think of it as if you had tires that were in great/new condition; going over a bumpy brick street would cause a bumpy-feeling ride, but would not cause them to go flat. Thinner, worn tires that are doing ok on a regular road might go flat on a bumpy brick road because they can't hold up under that added stress. Unlike a thinned tire, which just has to be replaced, our immune system can be built back up by proper nutrition, rest, and exercise; it would be as if an old tire can be 'renewed' to become more new-like. The individual sensitivities people have, such as to spring pollens or other allergens, are like the bumpy road - they are more than our immune system is strong enough at that given time to hold up under.

Taking symptom-relieving meds for these problems is like using fix-a-flat on a deflated or deflating tire; it provides a temporary relief from the problem, ie now we can drive the car again for a while, but it is not addressing the underlying cause/problem - ie, the damaged tire. Also, because meds contain some unnatural (to the body) ingredients, they add further load for the body to cope with; and when we are sick we need to avoid all possible added stressers (including, by the way, emotional stressers) so that the immune system can focus on healing us. Another problem with symptom-relieving meds of all types (cold remedies, pain pills, allergy pills, etc) is that because they make people feel better, it is easy to become complacent to the unaddressed underlying cause/problem, ie, we just keep driving on the 'fix-a-flat-ed' tire, and the next time we are out on the interstate in the middle of no where, boom, it goes out on us again (ie, we get sick again because we didn't take steps to strengthen our immune system).

So if I had allergies or a cold, etc (or wanted to increase my resistance to them for the future) I would sleep as much as possible, not exercise at all if I were sick/having allergy symptoms until I felt well (so that the immune system can maximize its focus on healing me) eat well (ie the veggies, fruits, good proteins etc etc), avoid stress as much as possible, and take high quality multi-vitamins, antioxidants, grape seed extract, extra vitamin C and extra vitamin D (unless I was in a place like TV and had bright sunshine that day, in which case I'd get out in that without sunscreen for around 20-30 minutes at the midday, especially if I felt sick, to get a great dose of vitamin D and then I could skip the vitamin D supplement - and, no, as long as I wasn't burning I wouldn't be risking skin cancer in doing this - in fact, the vitamin D is protective against many forms of cancer). (Even the AMA, in its journal JAMA, agrees that all of us need supplements, no matter how well we eat; there is not enough nutrition in the food supply any longer). I'd make sure that the brand all of the supplements were both (1) pharmaceutical grade (this would be stated on the label if they are - otherwise I'd be buying a 'white elephant', as the labelling of supplements is not regulated and, therefore, the label's claim as to the levels of nutrients in a product is unreliable and is usually very overstated) and (2) highly bioavailable/absorbable, by checking such independent sources as consumerlabs.com or the Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements. Researching on your own, such as pubmed.org you will find that the RDA levels of such nutrients as vitamin C and vitamin D are no longer seen as sufficient to give us optimal health.

Our bodies were wondrously designed to be resistant to and coexist with viruses/germs/bacteria and to stay well; and to be 'healing machines' if we do get sick, as long they are as properly 'stoked' to do the job. Learning that I could do things to help control this was a life-changing epiphany, like a miracle, to me; I was a person who dealt with both allergies and asthma, and several bouts per year of colds/strep throat flu etc, with entire shelves of prescription and over-the-counter meds and inhalers, plus seasonal allergy shots, for my entire life before that.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.

Last edited by Freeda; 03-10-2011 at 09:28 PM.