Thread: Open Houses
View Single Post

Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARBUCKSSAMMY View Post
Just to clarify a few items...in the Daily Sun each day The Villages has a map and listing of 12 new houses for sale. Every day that changes...you do not need a Village Rep or Realtor. Also, you have about 30-40 open houses of existing homes...again no Realtor or Rep needed. If you want to see new models (not for sale) you need to obtain a Village sales Rep.

After a couple of days you get the hang of it....you'll love it.
This is the best advice so far....AND don't be afraid that The Villages rep are going to pressure you. They won't. In fact they aren't going to drop everything and run around with you for two days,...I don't think. They have lots of appointments with other folks.

AND I think it is a tad easier to make friends in the newly built areas because everyone is on their "honeymoon" and each is just as new as the other and parties and gatherings are happening all of the time and the decorating of vacant houses and the buying of golf carts and all of that business of happily beginning a new life is shared. I LOVED that part. In fact when we buy again in a new area I hope it will be just as fun, but I doubt it since we are old owners of three years now...but JUST as happy.

Just do your homework by printing out the floor plans of the houses you like, I made a book of them.(Remember in MOST designers there are block and stucco and frame versions of the same floor plan and they are called different names, example, Gardenia and Camellia, the same house different outside finish.) Also note the prices difference in the same model and figure out why...it is always the view, or lack of it and the upgrades, granite, etc. on the already built homes. There are already built new homes you know.

Now the new areas are the western areas and southwest areas, of St. James, St. Charles, Buttonwood, Pennecamp...and that other village I can't remember that starts with a T...Terwind...something? No, that's not right.

There are those who like resales more, but I don't because I am not crazy about the tile, wall colors, add ons, wallpaper, etc. that most other people have chosen, (and the smell of smoking in some) and unless you get a real deal on the bond paid, you are going to have to lay out money to redo the house the way you want it. THAT IS JUST ME. I don't see that much difference between new and used in price. But some people love the art of negotiation which you cannot have on a new home. The price is the price.

It will be fun, and a little nerve wracking and don't feel like you HAVE to make a decision immediately. The same kinds of choices will be here next year.