View Single Post

Old 03-11-2011, 01:35 PM
n/a

Default Wait a second!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
It's not about the budget. When the unions caved to the financial demands Walker made, he should have taken his victory. But that wasn't good enough for him.

I'm no fan of unions. I don't like the way that (especially public) unions can make it virtually impossible to fire someone for incompetency. But to take away the right to collectively bargain just seems wrong to me.

Heck, I just saw a clip of Ronald Reagan, from 1980, stating that where workers are not allowed to collectively bargain, tyranny is found.

I know some teachers locally - lived next door to one for many years. Many of the good teacher are frustrated to no end by the incompetents and burnouts who "game the system".

I'd love to see proper reform. To me that would be the best of both worlds and a compromise I could certainly live with.

Here in NH we offer the teachers a choice when it comes to cutbacks. You either give up certain things (like increasing the co-payments on health insurance) or a number of teachers jobs are eliminated to make up the shortfall. It's the union's choice. Shared sacrifice or targeted sacrifice. Apparently, in Manchester NH, the teacher's union is choosing targeted sacrifice.
WAIT A SECOND!!
Why do teachers get to decide if the compensation goes down or there are fewer teachers?? That is crazy. Some of the best young teachers will be laid off to over pay the union protected seniority. COME ON.
The only logical response to excessive compensation in an economic crisis is reduced compensation.. not hurt the kids by getting rid of teachers to maintain the unreasonable compensation for some obtained through the incestuous relationships between unions and politicians. The public would be far better off with less compensation for teachers and more teachers!