Thread: Open Houses
View Single Post

Old 03-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

I think it would be naïve to assume the Villages exists in a cocoon that makes it exempt from crime. I do think that the demographics of the Villages make it less likely to experience certain types of problems like drug related crimes, armed robberies and domestic abuse (although I know that happens regardless of lifestyle). I did notice that the areas surrounding the Villages are generally less affluent, but I’m not sure how that poses a threat to the Villages. In fact, the Villages probably has helped the outlying areas by providing better jobs and schools.

The bottom line is that crime exists everywhere and we need to take precautions to ensure our safety no matter where we live. I’m not sure I would go jogging at 4am, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they had pepper spray or mace. One of the things that impresses me about the Villages is the impression I have that people take watch out for each other. It’s a reassuring feeling.

And sometimes there is nothing you can do – I was recently burglarized. I have an alarm system on windows and doors on the first floor, but who would have thought that someone would put a 12 foot ladder up to my 2nd floor bathroom window (which was open) and gain access that way.