View Single Post

Old 03-12-2011, 11:37 AM
n/a

Default isconsin

The realistic fact concerning corporations is that they come into existence to make a profit and anything short of immoral, unethical or illegal benefits a community. Corporations create good paying jobs and do reward competent people via performance evaluations systems that prove their value. I could offer criticism to the system but in the end it works best. On the other side we have union leaders who continually make demands for increases in pay and benefits primarily to justify their existence and with no corrosponding increase in productivity or quality. I have witnessed union employees intentionally slowing down so they could get overtime. A nuclear plant being built in upstate New York was over budget and substantially behind schedule for completion. The culprit. Union employees were making so much money on that job they did not want it to end. so the day welders would come in and weld pipe and at night the welders would come in and break welds. At least that is what the local paper printed.

As an human resources officer I was assigned to a subsidiary we acquired. I found my staff being underpaid. I voluntarily gave up 10% pay increases for three years because I believed pay should be commensurate with performance. The senior management team I worked with were elitist and so I was rewarded with providing good example as being referred to as that HR guy having a "blue collar mentality". They didn't miss my point. I missed the point. Corporations are based on profit, incentives and the like. It is its life blood and while it plays well in the movies sentimentality doesn't work in corporations opportunities do and as long as the people taking advantage of those opportunities do so morally ethically and honestly it is the american way and we are better for it. I will say in my behalf that I always believed that my focus should be about the work and doing the best that I could and the rewards would follow and in the end that proved true.

I strongly believe that quality teachers will be better off on their own and that the education system will vastly improve once the unions lose their hold on schools and politicians.