View Single Post

Old 03-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
The following is nothing more than a personal assessment of general medical care in The Villages. My own experiences, biases and opinions shape the tone. It is meant to do no harm but rather to encourage the focusing of energy into improving our system. I would be delighted if but one future Villager found it helpful in some way.

Five or is it six years ago, when we purchased our home in the Villages, a concern was the quality of medical care available here. We were getting long of tooth and leaving the Northeast's world class care options like Columbia-Presbyterian, The Kessler Institute, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, Memorial Sloan-Kettering and others. Over many years we had established relationships with a wide assortment of medical professionals we have great confidence in.

When we first arrived, we realized that medical care in The Villages was going through growing pains and a metamorphosis of sorts. After research, trial and error, we found a great General Practitioner. At that time it wasn't easy because it seemed like no one was taking new patients. Since then, we have secured quality medical and dental care that we are very confident in. In some cases, the exchange of medical information here on TOTV was very helpful. We also discussed options with our new GP, friends and neighbors.

Initially, reports on hospital care suggested mediocrity at best. We were advised by many including medical and emergency service professionals to go to Leesburg Hospital for emergency heart and medical treatment. Since that time, we have witnessed positive changes in the level of emergency care at The Villages Hospital. I recall a public recognition and acknowledgement of the problem by hospital administrators. There were staff and leadership changes. It appeared someone was paying attention. The same sources that suggested Leesburg as the first option, now say improvements have placed The Villages Hospital on a par with their sister care center. Personally, I now have confidence in both facilities. They are part of the Central Florida Health Alliance. Someone more conversant may want to explain the relationship in more detail.

I guess that recent comparisons would be based on personal experience. On that note, I did have an emergency admission at The Villages Hospital. First, on entry to the hospital, I routinely reached for my insurance card and was waved off and told we're going to take care of you first. That is a first for me. I was then promptly taken to an examination room where in less than 5 minutes I was being examined by a physician. I realize that every experience may not be the same, but if my treatment was more typical than not, I would have to say the experience was exceptional. I have heard of many positive reports and a few that might not agree. On balance there seems to be more positive than negative.

Medical care is a very personal thing. In that regard, The Villages offer an extraordinary number of options. There are abundant specialty alternatives available. All of them are easily accessible....most by golf cart. If you haven't gone to the doctor or dentist in a golf cart......it's different.

Arguably, our town is the most rapidly growing community of its kind in America. Consistent with that distinction are growing pains that surface when medical services try to keep up. Mistakes are made. Markets, watchdogs and balanced media should play a role in molding and elevating the caliber of care. Energy, especially at our age, is likely better spent on improving the system then wasted on blanket vilification of what is wrong. When I was young and very angry over a chain of events, my father told me to step back. He then said, "Never tear something down unless you can offer to build it better." I know, almost every body's father told them that at some time in their life. Our fathers were very smart. They must have gone to school together. Here's to our fathers and building it better.

If you got this far, thank you for indulging the ramblings of a Villager with no tee time today.

Have a great day.
Dear Cabo.

I found your post insightful, considered, personal and food for thought. Medical care was and is a huge consideration for us in making the move here to a full time home.

I believe that several years ago the doctors who practiced around this area did not have the education and background that I would choose as....excellent. I am a person who has been called a doctor picky person.

Now someone is going to say that there are good doctors who don't graduate from the top five medical schools in this country and I will agree. But, there are people in the the lower fourth of the class, people from another country who are getting established and other medical personnel who just couldn't get a position at a prestigious medical facility. They often start in small rural areas. And many of them become excellent. And some don't.

So when my loved ones have life threatening physical problems I want the best available. I have learned a lot about cardiac surgery, renal surgery, and cancer care and I feel satisfied that the people who are close to me have received the best that we could give them.

As this area grows to be as big as many cities in Florida, it is attracting more skilled medical personnel. So our growth is very good to improve the medical care in our area. I think it is good now and getting better every day.

I learned early on that you have a much better chance to survive if the doctor and facility have seen many, many, cases of the exact malady that you have. That is the reason that I was always told to seek a large teaching hospital for Helene's severe congenital supra valvar aortic stenosis. We did. She is here with us. I want to keep the good times going.

You are right Cabo. It is personal. We don't have time to get a medical degree when we are diagnosed with cancer. We have to seek the best care that we can get.

Many areas with population of 100 thousand people have more than one facility for cancer, heart, arthritis, eye surgery etc. etc. I think the competition keeps them seeking higher accreditation....and we can't lose sight of the fact that medical care is a business.

Just my very personal view too.

These two posts sure eased my mind as a future Tv'er.

Thank you cabo35 and Gracie.