Thread: Debt Collectors
View Single Post

Old 03-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Veteran member
Default Debt Collectors

Just curious as to how many people have had a debt collection agency call you about some outstanding bill, especially a medical bill, and you were clueless because you had never received a bill. This happened to me last week. It was for a service last October and when I gave my insurance company the date of service, they assured me I had zero patient balance (my insurance company goes by date of service). It took me a week to find out that it was a radiologist and when I called their billing department, they had not submitted the claim to my insurance company, apologized and said it should have never gone to the debt collection agency. I checked my account online this morning - they submitted the claim on the 15th and it was processed and paid in full this morning. There should be a law or regulation stating that before a creditor (store, Dr, Dentist etc) can turn an account over to a debt collection agency, they must provide documentation of their efforts to collect the money from the customer, patient etc - submission of claim to the insurance company, bills sent, 2nd notices whatever. This would indicate they have a legitimate reason for having a debt collector intervene. This experience was extremely stressful for me - humiliating and insulting. I have golden credit and have always paid my bills on time. I did write a letter about requiring documentation and sent it to the Florida Department of Consumer Services, Seniors Against Crime, and the Better Business Bureau of Central Florida. Hey, maybe they will make it into "Marilyn's Law"!!