Thread: Traitors??
View Single Post

Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
My husband and I visited The Villages for 2 months last year and decided "this is for us", so we came back to eastern NC and within a couple of weeks got our house and 5 acres on the market last July. We recently accepted an offer that we hope will close the end of May. We are very excited and packing each day in anticipation. We have made arrangements to rent a place in Palo Alto for a year to be sure of where we'd like to settle.
Although not home to us, we have lived in this little town for 40 years and have very good friends, our church family, and one son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren that we will be leaving behind. I'm amazed to discover we are being treated as "traitors" for leaving and I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same attitudes.

The town where we live is very depressed and steadily declining with no opportunities for recreation and virtually no decent restaurants. Many years ago few people locked doors at night but all that has changed and we have even had robberies in the Wal Mart parking lot!! I am having a hard time trying to explain why we want to leave without putting this area down and I don't want to do that as it is home to most of our friends and you naturally have strong ties to the area where you were "born and raised". They think it is "God's Country"!

Honestly, their attitudes just make me want to get to The Villages that much quicker to meet new people and get started on "the last chapter of our lives". Personally I don't want to spend my "Golden Years" rocking on the front porch!
My family keeps reminding me of all things "home." To me, home was a depressing place with high drug rates, multi-national gangs, more speech in Spanish than in English, congested traffic, loud sirens, deadbolt locks on the doors and windows. I speak more with my family now, through email and telephone, than I did when I lived at "home."
I'm happy here (except for missing the grandchildren's daily lives.)