Thread: Distance
View Single Post

Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool One of each ...

Newt,
We have one of each...2011 Yamaha Gas and a Columbia Par Car Electric. I've had the gas for 4 months; the electric for 1 week.

In a word, the difference is "complexity". For the gas cart, all we do is keep gas in it and drive...no fuss, no muss...period.

For the electric, you need to keep it charged (overnight; every night); keep water in the batteries; consider the distance you will drive and whether you will need lights of not.

I love the electric....it's quite, smooth and I can listen to the radio without blasting it too loudly. We live in St. Charles and going to either square and returning [at night, with lights on and the radio blasting] is no problem for the Par Car.

The longest trip, so far, is St. Charles to Havana (18 holes) --> back to St. Charles --> St. Charles to Walmart --> Walmart to LSL via 466 trail and over the Morse bridge--> Dinner, Drinking and Dancing --> LSL to St. Charles (after dark). Still had battery left...no problem. This week, we will drive it to Lopez, play 18, go to dinner and drive it home after dark...that will be the test. I should add, the batteries are 10 months old, so relatively new.

As for the gas cart, I have no idea how far we've driven in one trip. When we just want to explore, we take the gas cart and have no worries about range.

Bottomline: If I could only have one cart, it would definitely be a gas cart.