Thread: Distance
View Single Post

Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Sage
Default Electric works for us..... but your mileage may vary

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Newt,
In a word, the difference is "complexity". For the gas cart, all we do is keep gas in it and drive...no fuss, no muss...period.

For the electric, you need to keep it charged (overnight; every night); keep water in the batteries; consider the distance you will drive and whether you will need lights of not.

<<Message snipped by Alan>>
This makes sense to me. A friend of mine has a gas cart because he does not wish to deal with range issues period. That makes sense for him and I cannot argue his logic. I only own electric carts and "probably" always will, but the batteries require care. If you wish to get electric, you need to understand the battery pack is the golf cart. You need to gain some knowledge in the golf cart forum on TOTV or other forums online about:
  1. How to properly break in a new battery pack.
  2. What is a pack's state of charge? How far should I drive my pack without shortening the life of the pack?
  3. How do I properly maintain batteries?
  4. Does the configuration of the pack matter? You must understand that a Par Car with 8-6v batteries will go MUCH further than a Club Car Precedent with 4-12V batteries.
  5. Alot of accessories, night driving? Do you need a voltage reducer?

None of it is complicated. Each item is important but IMO number two is the most overlooked. Many folks I talk to discharge their pack way too far too often which limits life of pack. When a friend tells you they go 45 miles on a charge, ask how far they discharged the pack, what is the SOC at end of ride.

Range seems important based on your post, so you may be like my friend who went with gas, no worries for range (although he did forget to fill up once when it was his turn to drive ). Here are some general numbers from my carts over the last three years (your cart may differ):
  • My Par Car and a Club Car with 8-6v batteries will reliably go 40+ miles.
  • My "new to me" '02 Club cart with three year old 6-8v batteries will go 26+ miles (new should be closer to 35 miles).
Some quick looks at googlemaps for distances:
  • Buttonwood to Lopez about 10 miles each way
  • 18 holes of golf is 5-6 miles
  • Buttonwood to LSL is about 3.5 miles each way
  • Buttonwood to Spanish Springs is about 7 miles each way