View Single Post

Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Sage
Cool Individuals' "rights" v. the whole

I am a dog owner and I love dogs and like seeing them at the squares, but I often wonder if certain dogs there would lunge or bite. Some of those dogs' owners act like they LIKE having others feel a bit intimidated.

This problem reminds me a lot of no-smoking laws recently enacted.

Some smokers are courteous and do not smoke like a chimney at the table right next to you in a restaurant when you're trying to eat the meal you paid good money for. But the ones who DO/DID that caused enough ruination of other people's right to a pleasant atmosphere that voters approved the no-smoking laws now in place in various states/localities.

This dog situation, like public smoking, is a question of the "rights" of a few proudly militant dog owners who force their dogs onto other people who have good reason to fear dogs from past, real experience; or who force their dogs onto TV visitors, guests and residents who do not consider stepping in manure to be a necessary part of enjoying the totally unique atmosphere at the town squares.

Apologies and statements from "responsible" dog owners do little to avert the problem of a person who does get bitten or who steps in manure and their whole outing is ruined and they have to go home or buy new shoes at VanHuesen if they're open.

Maybe TV could start by prohibiting dogs there during certain peak hours when there are more crowds, during busiest winter months. Letters need to be written.